The energy storage has long been the most critical challenge for electric vehicles or hybrid electric vehicles. There is a new trend of using supercapacitors to complement or even replace batteries as energy storage devices to improve the vehicles' performance.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University's Body Integrated Supercapacitor enables manufacturers to make use of space in the car body to maximize energy storage. Special packaging and built-in power electronics technologies have been developed to produce supercapacitor modules with new structure. As curved supercapacitor modules can be produced using the new technologies, supercapacitors can be integrated into car body panels, such as the roof, doors and the trunk lid.
In addition, new energy storage balancing technologies have been invented, which can reduce energy loss and the size of energy balancing circuits in the systems of energy storage devices. A series of related technologies were also developed, such as charging and discharging control, as well as connections with other energy storage systems. Due to such developments, the Body Integrated Supercapacitor is compatible with and applicable in various electric vehicles.
Special Features and Advantages
- Supercapacitors in form of curved and flat modules can be developed to be integrated in different parts of the car body
- Energy storage components with high power density enable fast charging and discharging
- Energy storage system for electric vehicles using solely supercapacitors
- Hybrid energy storage system of electric vehicles using supercapacitors plus batteries (Li-ion batteries or fuel cells)
- The supercapacitor module is with rated capacitance 150F, rated voltage 50V, and can be in flat and curved surfaces with a physical surface area of 0.5 sqm and a thickness of 4 cm.
- Applicable to electric vehicles, and be integrated with various parts of the vehicular body
- Applicable to other cases where supercapacitor energy storage systems are required
Source and top image: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Learn more at the next leading event on the topic: Energy Storage Innovations USA 2019 on 20 - 21 Nov 2019 at Santa Clara Convention Center, CA, USA hosted by IDTechEx.