29 Feb 2012 | United Kingdom
Making hydrogen powered travel a reality in the UK
A ground breaking project to ensure the UK is well positioned for the commercial roll-out of hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles has been launched in the UK.
The new programme - UKH2Mobility - brings together three Government Departments and industrial participants from the utility, gas, infrastructure and global car manufacturing sectors.
The group will evaluate the potential for hydrogen as a fuel for Ultra Low Carbon Vehicles in the UK before developing an action plan for an anticipated roll-out to consumers in 2014/15. It aims to:
- Analyse in detail the specific UK case for the introduction of hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles as one of a number of solutions to decarbonise road transport and quantify the potential emissions benefits;
- Review the investments required to commercialise the technology, including refuelling infrastructure;
- Identify what is required to make the UK a leading global player in hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle manufacturing thereby paving the way for economic opportunities to the UK, through the creation of new jobs and boosting of local economies.
All of the participants have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to agree to share their knowledge and expertise.
Speaking at the launch of UKH2Mobility at the Royal Society Mark Prisk said: "The UK is proving itself to be a key early market for ultra-low emission vehicles with growing numbers of electric and plug-in hybrids appearing on our roads. The Government is supporting this market by investing £400million to support the development, demonstration and deployment of low and ultra-low emission vehicles.
"Hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles are increasingly being recognised as one of the viable options as we move to a lower carbon motoring future. They are highly efficient, can be fuelled in minutes, travel an equivalent range to a conventional combustion engine, and have zero tail-pipe emissions.
Jerry Hardcastle, Vice-President for Vehicle Design and Development at Nissan said: "This is an important step for the automotive sector towards the development of clean vehicle technologies and zero emission mobility. It will lay many of the foundations for the commercial deployment of hydrogen-powered fuel cell electric vehicles which could represent a large segment of the UK market in the coming years. With this comprehensive list of partners we can be assured to have all the knowledge necessary to make UKH2Mobility an exhaustive and credible study."
Kevin Michaelis, Regional Vice President, Liquid Bulk/Generated Gases-Europe, Air Products, said: "This project brings together the leading hydrogen infrastructure providers, at the forefront of deployment worldwide, with the common goal of supporting the rollout of hydrogen transport across the United Kingdom.
"The hydrogen infrastructure sector has been working over a number of years to develop hydrogen transport in the UK. We are very pleased that the progress made is being recognised by the Government in this groundbreaking initiative that will shift the focus from R&D to deployment of hydrogen infrastructure.
"Working together with Government and leading car manufacturers we can support the creation of a hydrogen transport infrastructure that will dramatically cut harmful vehicle emissions and move the UK towards a zero carbon transport system."
Dr Henri Winand, Chief Executive of Intelligent Energy said: "The UKH2Mobility is a ground-breaking industry led task force. Its job is to roll its sleeves up and ensure that the UK is well positioned for the commercial roll-out of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles from 2014/15 as part of a balanced portfolio of drivetrains. Fuel cell vehicles, storage and refuelling technology are here today, they work! We now need to look at how we can make these elements, together with the hydrogen refuelling infrastructure, work most effectively to enable the UK to take full advantage of hydrogen as a transport fuel; stimulating inward investment, GDP growth and securing and creating new jobs".
UKH2Mobility will deliver its evaluation of the potential of hydrogen as a transport fuel by the end of 2012. If the results are positive, an action plan will be developed to work through the steps needed to get the UK ready to be one of the first markets for the global commercial roll out of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles.
For more attend Electric Vehicles Land Sea Air USA 2012 ,where uniquely we reflect the new realities that there are now six key enabling technologies and they are competing in all forms of EV, hybrid, pure electric and land, water and airborne, manned and unmanned. Speakers from ten countries detail the situation in their parts of the world including SYNPER 3 from Singapore, first to fly an electric helicopter recently, showing how up to 35% of helicopter crashes could be avoided with hybrid electric technology. Sun Yat-Sen University China and Germany Trade & Invest detail their national situations. Next generation batteries are covered by Robert Bosch (Bosch Group) of Germany, Oxis Energy UK, IBM USA and others. OLEV Technologies will show how to continuously pick up power, Schneider Electric of France how modern charging infrastructure is a system not boxes. There will be two presentations on supercapacitor breakthroughs - here is the future. See the full picture, with best-in-class speakers from across the whole world - Slovenia to Gibraltar, China to Canada, each carefully chosen by IDTechEx because of their leadership. There are two presentations on agricultural EVs and five on electric aircraft including Boeing and Airbus involvement. Other presenters include BMW (cars etc), Mitsubishi Motors (small commercial vehicles and cars), Daimler AG (commercial and military vehicles and cars) and Toyota (leader in electric forklifts, electric cars and buses but also presenting on its fuel cell vehicle program.) Uniquely, a large number of electric vehicle manufacturers not seen in conventional EV events will present including iRobot Corporation Autonomous Underwater Vehicles AUVs (better known for EVs as robot vacuum cleaners). Mission Motors and two others focus on electric motor cycles. Many manufacturers of industrial, commercial, military, cars and other EVs will be there. Come to this event where you avoid the usual speakers with nothing new to say and meet people new and useful to you without doing a lot of travelling to find them. Apply for an award.
Also read Advanced Energy Storage Technologies: Patent Trends and Company Positioning and Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next .
Hybrid and pure electric vehicles for land, water and air
- Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2014-2024
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 2015-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Markets
- Electric Motors for Hybrid and Pure Electric Vehicles 2015-2025: Land, Water, Air
- Electric Motorcycles and Three Wheel Electric Vehicles 2015-2025
- Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next
- Functional Materials for Supercapacitors / Ultracapacitors / EDLC 2015-2025
- Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
- Electrochemical Double Layer Capacitors: Supercapacitors 2014-2024
- Supercapacitor / Ultracapacitor Interviews, Strategies, Road Map 2014-2025
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure 2014-2024: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Electric Aircraft 2014-2024: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
- Hybrid and Pure Electric Cars 2014-2024: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Electric UAVs 2014-2024
- Energy Harvesting/ Regeneration for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2014-2024
- Electric Boats, Small Submarines and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) 2014-2024
- Range Extenders for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2013-2023
- Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- Industrial & Commercial Hybrid & Pure Electric Vehicles 2014-2024: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
- Hybrid and Electric Buses and Taxis 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
- Two-Wheelers, Micro-EVs (Quadricycles), Mobility for Disabled 2013-2023
Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2014-2024
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 2015-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Markets
Electric Motors for Hybrid and Pure Electric Vehicles 2015-2025: Land, Water, Air
Electric Motorcycles and Three Wheel Electric Vehicles 2015-2025
Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next
Functional Materials for Supercapacitors / Ultracapacitors / EDLC 2015-2025
Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
Electrochemical Double Layer Capacitors: Supercapacitors 2014-2024
Supercapacitor / Ultracapacitor Interviews, Strategies, Road Map 2014-2025
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure 2014-2024: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Electric Aircraft 2014-2024: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
Hybrid and Pure Electric Cars 2014-2024: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Electric UAVs 2014-2024
Energy Harvesting/ Regeneration for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2014-2024
Electric Boats, Small Submarines and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) 2014-2024
Range Extenders for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2013-2023
Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
Industrial & Commercial Hybrid & Pure Electric Vehicles 2014-2024: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
Hybrid and Electric Buses and Taxis 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
Two-Wheelers, Micro-EVs (Quadricycles), Mobility for Disabled 2013-2023
Copper shines as flexible conductor
LG first to commercialize 4K OLED TV
Haydale announces marketing agreement with planarTECH LLC