21 Feb 2012 | United States
Odyne work trucks and the Wisconsin Clean Transportation Programme
Odyne Systems, LLC, a Waukesha, Wisconsin based leader in hybrid systems for medium and heavy duty trucks, has delivered seven trucks featuring the Odyne advanced plug-in hybrid propulsion system to utilities and municipalities throughout Wisconsin. Communities and utilities receiving the new technology were partially funded under the Wisconsin Clean Transportation Program jointly administered through the Wisconsin State Energy Office and the U.S. Department of Energy Wisconsin Clean Cities Program. The new units are anticipated to deliver fuel efficiency over a conventional truck of up to 50% annually, depending upon the use of the truck.
Lorrie Lisek, Executive Director of Wisconsin Clean Cities Southeast Area, Inc., noted "The implementation of this technology in the Wisconsin Clean Transportation Program has resulted in efforts not only to reduce our nation's dependence on petroleum, but to additionally improve air quality and develop statewide economic opportunities."
Odyne's proprietary and patented hybrid technology combines reliable electric power conversion, power control and energy storage technology with Remy advanced electric propulsion motors, modular Johnson Controls lithium-ion battery systems and other robust, automotive quality components. The Odyne plug-in hybrid drive system reduces fleet operating and maintenance costs, and depending on duty cycle, enables large trucks to obtain significant fuel economy improvements compared to traditional diesel engines. The Odyne advanced hybrid system also lowers emissions and provides a quiet, safe working environment with good work site communication, setting the new benchmark for the hybrid work truck industry.
The following have received advanced Odyne hybrid systems under the Wisconsin Clean Transportation Program:
- Milwaukee County took delivery of four work trucks in December 2011 and January 2012 that will be used throughout Milwaukee County to maintain traffic signals and street lighting. Although the county automotive fleet includes hybrids, these are the first hybrid trucks they are putting to work. Manufactured by DUECO, Inc. the vehicles feature the first Odyne hybrid systems installed on Kenworth truck chassis and are the first to power Venturo corner mount cranes, which will be used in sign maintenance and to lift lighting as the county switches to more efficient LED lighting. The trucks feature fiberglass bodies and Terex TL60 aerial buckets, recognized for their stability.
- Marshfield Utilities, serving the city of Marshfield, Wisconsin took delivery of its first Odyne hybrid truck in 2009. A second truck with a more advanced Odyne plug-in hybrid system was delivered in December 2011. Both units feature a Navistar chassis, Terex HRX55 booms and fiberglass bodies. The trucks are used for construction and maintenance of the Marshfield utility grid. Greg Geiger, Electric Operating Supervisor with Marshfield Utilities, summed up what he likes about the Odyne hybrid trucks by saying, "Besides saving fuel, and therefore decreasing our carbon footprint, the biggest benefit has been for our guys working on the ground. There are no diesel fumes to breathe in and it's a nice quiet work environment to communicate in."
- The Richland Center unit of Wisconsin Public Power, Inc. will be putting a new Terex TCX60 boom and fiberglass body on a Navistar chassis with the Odyne hybrid system into action in their community for the construction and maintenance of the utility grid. Dale Bender, Electrical Superintendant at Richland Center, commented, "We are excited to receive our first hybrid bucket truck and are looking forward to helping educate the public about "hybrids" and Richland Center's efforts to create a "greener" environment." He went on to note, "The line crew is looking forward to the improved working conditions, including quiet operation, as well as the advantages of fuel savings."
- The Lake Mills Unit of Wisconsin Public Power, Inc. is also putting a new Terex TCX60 with a fiberglass body on a Navistar chassis to work constructing and maintaining the utility grid. Joe Dalum, President of Odyne Systems, LLC noted, "We were pleased to work with each of these Wisconsin based businesses to bring the advantages of hybrid systems to their work truck fleets under the Wisconsin Clean Transportation Program Collectively, these organizations are making a positive impact on the environment in their move to hybrid fleets". Odyne hybrid systems are modular and can be applied to a wide range of new and existing commercial work vehicles. Odyne hybrid systems are sold through a worldwide distribution network. DUECO, Inc., of Waukesha, Wisconsin sold and applied the advanced system to the seven vehicles under the Wisconsin Clean Transportation program.
For more attend Electric Vehicles Land Sea Air USA 2012 ,where uniquely we reflect the new realities that there are now six key enabling technologies and they are competing in all forms of EV, hybrid, pure electric and land, water and airborne, manned and unmanned. Speakers from ten countries detail the situation in their parts of the world including SYNPER 3 from Singapore, first to fly an electric helicopter recently, showing how up to 35% of helicopter crashes could be avoided with hybrid electric technology. Sun Yat-Sen University China and Germany Trade & Invest detail their national situations. Next generation batteries are covered by Robert Bosch (Bosch Group) of Germany, Oxis Energy UK, IBM USA and others. OLEV Technologies will show how to continuously pick up power, Schneider Electric of France how modern charging infrastructure is a system not boxes. There will be two presentations on supercapacitor breakthroughs - here is the future. See the full picture, with best-in-class speakers from across the whole world - Slovenia to Gibraltar, China to Canada, each carefully chosen by IDTechEx because of their leadership. There are two presentations on agricultural EVs and five on electric aircraft including Boeing and Airbus involvement. Other presenters include BMW (cars etc), Mitsubishi Motors (small commercial vehicles and cars), Daimler AG (commercial and military vehicles and cars) and Toyota (leader in electric forklifts, electric cars and buses but also presenting on its fuel cell vehicle program.) Uniquely, a large number of electric vehicle manufacturers not seen in conventional EV events will present including iRobot Corporation Autonomous Underwater Vehicles AUVs (better known for EVs as robot vacuum cleaners). Mission Motors and two others focus on electric motor cycles. Many manufacturers of industrial, commercial, military, cars and other EVs will be there. Come to this event where you avoid the usual speakers with nothing new to say and meet people new and useful to you without doing a lot of travelling to find them. Companies are also invited to submit an award.
For more information read Industrial and Commercial Electric Vehicles 2012-2022 and Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next .
Source and image: Odyne Systems
Hybrid and pure electric vehicles for land, water and air
- Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2014-2024
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 2014-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Markets
- Electric Motors for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next
- Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
- Electrochemical Double Layer Capacitors: Supercapacitors 2014-2024
- Supercapacitor / Ultracapacitor Interviews, Strategies, Road Map 2014-2025
- Analysis of 138 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Electric UAVs 2014-2024
- Energy Harvesting/Regeneration for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2014-2024
- Electric Boats, Small Submarines and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) 2014-2024
- Range Extenders for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2013-2023
- Electric Aircraft 2013-2023: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
- Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure 2012-2022: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Hybrid and Electric Buses and Taxis 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
- Light Electric Vehicles, Mobility Vehicles, E-Motorcycles and Micro-EVs (Quadricycles) 2013-2023
- Industrial & Commercial Hybrid & Pure Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
- Electric Vehicle Encyclopedia
- Electric Vehicles
Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2014-2024
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 2014-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Markets
Electric Motors for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Electric Vehicle Industry Profitability 2012 - Where, Why, What Next
Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
Electrochemical Double Layer Capacitors: Supercapacitors 2014-2024
Supercapacitor / Ultracapacitor Interviews, Strategies, Road Map 2014-2025
Analysis of 138 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Electric UAVs 2014-2024
Energy Harvesting/Regeneration for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2014-2024
Electric Boats, Small Submarines and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) 2014-2024
Range Extenders for Electric Vehicles Land, Water & Air 2013-2023
Electric Aircraft 2013-2023: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure 2012-2022: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Hybrid and Electric Buses and Taxis 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
Light Electric Vehicles, Mobility Vehicles, E-Motorcycles and Micro-EVs (Quadricycles) 2013-2023
Industrial & Commercial Hybrid & Pure Electric Vehicles 2013-2023: Forecasts, Opportunities, Players
Electric Vehicle Encyclopedia
Collaboration on materials for flexible display electronics
Optomec announces new patent award expanding additive manufacturing
Discovery to make solar power less expensive and more efficient