Segway Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Segway-Ninebot Group, has launched Loomo, a smart machine that toggles between a mini personal transporter and mobile robot sidekick. For more information see the IDTechEx reports on autonomous vehicles and robotics.
Loomo will launch with a core set of foundational features, with more capabilities unlocked over time through over-the-air (OTA) updates. Out of the box, you can ride Loomo as a mini transporter or let it follow you autonomously as a robot sidekick. Loomo also comes with a free Android-based SDK for professional developers and enthusiasts to build on top of Segway's mobility + AI platform.
Loomo's key features include:
- Self-Balancing Transporter: Smooth ride experience across most terrain types, with speeds of up to 11 MPH, and the capacity to cover 22 miles in one charge; a voice-based tutorial allows anyone to learn how to ride Loomo in mere minutes
- Auto-Follow Expert: With advanced computer vision, Loomo can follow you autonomously, shoot stabilized video, and more
- Avatar: Use your smartphone as a remote control to access all of Loomo's capabilities - see, speak, interact, and explore as if you are Loomo
- Friendly & Expressive Personality: Powered by its emotion engine, Loomo's lovable nature and lighthearted expressions will cheer you up and impress everyone around you
- Multiple Control Methods: You can control Loomo via your smartphone app, voice command, gestures and touch sensors
- New Skills Unlocked Over-the-Air (OTA): Loomo will continuously update its software and app OTA to include new features
- Free Loomo Android SDK for developers: Directly access Loomo's mobility and AI capabilities to build a range of playful features or practical solutions
"Segway-Ninebot has already put millions of wheels on the ground that cover 180 million kilometers each year. But what happens if you combine Segway's proven mobility technology with cutting-edge AI? Well say hello to Loomo," said Li Pu, President of Segway Robotics. "For many, Loomo is a reflection of our movie fantasies growing up... it embodies our vision of how mobile personal robots can become a part of our everyday lives."
The Loomo Indiegogo campaign launched this week.
Source and top image: Segway Robotics
Learn more at the next leading event on the topic: IDTechEx Show! Europe 2018 on 11 - 12 Apr 2018 at the Estrel Convention Center, Berlin, Germany hosted by IDTechEx.