Honda announced that the latest addition to the PCX series popular for its stylish design and environmentally friendly engines, the PCX HYBRID, the world's first mass-produced motorized scooter (125cc or less) equipped with a motorcycle hybrid system, will go on sale in Japan on Friday, September 14. For more information see the IDTechEx report on micro-evs, e-bikes, e-scooters, e-motorbikes.
The PCX HYBRID, based on the PCX released in April 2018, is powered by a new high-output lithium ion battery, adding drive assist to the ACG starter that conventionally starts the engine and generates electricity. By a motor assisting the engine, the PCX HYBRID realizes sharper throttle response and superior performance compared to conventional scooters in the same class, while maintaining the PCX engine's characteristic quietness and feel of quality. Two motor assist modes allow the rider to choose the level of motor assist: "D" mode provides comfortable riding with suitable assist and exceptional fuel economy, and "S" mode provides stronger assist for a sporty ride.
The PCX series is powered by a durable, quiet and highly fuel efficient global scooter engine "eSP" mounted on a high-rigidity double-cradle frame. Convenient features such as the Honda SMART Key system add to the series' popularity among a wide range of customers.
PCX Hybrid Features
World's first hybrid system for mass-produced motorcycles
The PCX HYBRID's compact hybrid system fits within the PCX's chassis, realizing motor-assisted agile throttle response and high performance, while retaining the PCX's versatility.
- The engine is started and assisted by an ACG starter (with drive assist) controlled by the Power Drive Unit (PDU) which determines assist amount and monitors the high-output 48V lithium ion battery.
- The ACG starter assists for 4 seconds*5 after activated by throttle operation. The assist amount is determined according to the amount of throttle, and enables agile acceleration according to ride conditions while maintaining ease of use equivalent to the PCX.
- Increased torque due to motor assist realizes stronger acceleration, and agile throttle response only a motor can provide.
- Two motor assist modes, "D" mode for comfortable riding with suitable assist and better fuel economy, and "S" mode with stronger assist for a sporty ride, can be selected according to ride conditions and rider preference.
- Compact battery unit houses both high energy-density lithium ion battery and Battery Management Unit (BMU) that monitors remaining charge.
- By utilizing the 125cc scooter's limited space, such as positioning the lithium ion battery to the rear of the 23-liter*6 capacity luggage box (which can stow one full-face helmet※7), and the PDU within the front cover, the PCX HYBRID retains the PCX's versatility, relaxed riding position, and ease of handling.
- The instrument panel clearly displays various hybrid system details. In addition to speed, time, and average fuel consumption, the panel displays motor assist mode and amount, lithium ion battery charge status, level and remaining charge.
- The PCX HYBRID's idling stop system has a shorter start time than the PCX, and contributes to quietness while stationary and improved fuel economy.
Source and top image: Honda
Learn more at the next leading event on the topic: Business and Technology Insight Forums - Tokyo, September 2019 on 18 - 19 Sep 2019 at Tokyo, Japan hosted by IDTechEx.