The Mahindra Treo electric tuk-tuk has launched in Sri Lanka, it is the first-ever electric three-wheeler in Sri Lanka. The electric tuk-tuk is priced at just below a million rupees and can travel up to 130 kilometres in one charge. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd anticipates utilising Sri Lanka as a model to promote the vehicle in several states in India. For more information see the IDTechEx report on Micro EVs, e-Bikes, e Scooters, e Motorbikes, Mobility for Disabled 2018-2028.
The Mahindra Treo electric tuk-tuk features:
- Zero tail-pipe emission: Zero pollution and noiseless drive, making Treo environment friendly.
- Global battery technology: Zero maintenance, lithium-ion battery for more than 5 years of life.
- Cloud based mobility platform: Remote monitoring of range, speed, location and more for Next Generation Mobility (NEMO) is an optional feature available only in Treo) and efficient utilisation of fleet.
- Quick charging: It is as simple as charging a mobile phone. Just 3 hours & 50 min for a 130 km range for Treo & 2 hours & 30 min for an 85 km range for Treo Yaari. A top up during lunch break can add over 32 km to the range.
- Regenerative braking system: Kinetic energy generated on braking is fed back into the battery, thereby ensuring minimum wastage of energy.
Source and top image: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd